12/06/2007

I finished The Man of my Dreams yesterday. I really liked this book. My friend Emily read it and thought I would identify with the main character. Well, she was correct. The unfortunate thing is that the main character has some serious flaws (fear of relationships, difficulty accepting happiness, and so on). Sadly enough, I could totally identify with her. There is a part at the end that really resonated with me:

"I wanted to hold happiness in reserve, like a bottle of champagne. I postponed it because I was afraid, because I overvalued it, and because I didn't want to use it up, because what do you wish for then? That possibility, that I was intimidated by getting what I wanted, is the hardest one for me to consider, which might mean it is the likeliest." page 266

I think that most of us can identify with this quote. I think there are always things that we hold off on doing. Reading this book definitely gave me some real food for thought. I would recommend this book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ashley, that excerpt is SO you. And I want you to be happy. For some reason, it reminds me of something Seinfeld says about fear of success being the bottom of the fear barrel. It's the same for happiness- for God's sake, quit worrying about what you'll do when the happiness ends and freakin' enjoy being happy!