3/24/2006

I've finally started!!! I now understand why noone liked the beginning of the book, but you gals say that it gets better so I'll keep reading. Part of the beginning of the book really got me thinking on something (this doesn't happen too often so I was kind of excited). The male nurse came into the room and thought they were all sisters. Audrey was offended by this saying that it was because he wasn't attracted to them since they were over 50. Since he wasn't attracted to them of course they all looked the same. This reminded me of the conversation that we were having at lunch the other day. Are people not able to tell the difference between people of other races (or ages) because they're not attracted to them, so they don't take the time to notice the little things that makes everyone an individual? The second that I met John I was infatuated with him, so I was obviously able to pick him out of a crowd, and Jennie is my heterosexual life partner so I recognized her from the first day we met in our matching dresses. Normally though it takes me a few times meeting someone before I would be able to pick them out, and I still can't picture most people in my head when I'm talking or thinking about them. Maybe its because I don't find them attractive.

2 comments:

Jenny! said...

I think you might be on to something. I also thinks that it depends on the attention to detail of the person making the judgements. I think that I am pretty good at recognizing faces and remembering people...and it's not because I want to bang them all...but I think that I have a good visual memory. It is however easier to clump races together and say that they all look the same, even thought most of them don't...well maybe half of them don't!!!

Sarah said...

see the problem here is that we are all amazingly hot so we are always noticed and remembered!

I agree, I can always remeber more details about people I am attracted to but sometimes that atraction is caused by personality and still I recognize their facial features!