4/24/2006

I have been thinking long and hard about whether or not I liked the book. I really enjoyed the first 75% or it and then I found myself waiting for the "eviction from the ghetto apartment" to happen. As it never did actually happened, I find myself feeling deceived since her title page states that she does get evicted. I'm sorry but an eviction notice does not qualify as being evicted. Paying $1600.00 a month in rent does not qualify as "ghetto". She has no right to even use adjectives like ghetto in describing her apartment. It may not have been the upperscale neighborhood that she desired, but it sure didn't seem that bad.

I contemplated writing her an email or dropping a letter, but didn't feel like having another asshole ripped by an ugly bitch that's whole life is a lie to cover up her low self-esteem and embarrassment. Maybe I am just jealous, but seriously she didn't even touch upon her low self worth and that is clearly part of the problem here.

I did seriously like the book and would recommend it to friends, but I have a hard time feeling sympathetic for her and her situation. She doesn't know what real money struggles are, even though utilities were shut off for brief periods, her luxuries while "slumming it" far extend that of the majority working class that is supporting their families. Good thing she didn't have children...she probally would have tried to sell them on EBay too!

Maybe I am just bitter!

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

It is humorous that she considers her $1600 two floor apartment the ghetto. I actually started to write an email but then felt like too big of a dousche(sp?).

Sarah said...

I agree, no sympathy from me! To go without work for that long and not be living on the streets! I liked the book though. I think I would be afraid to write her an email as she is a much better writer than I and I would hate to be fodder for her next book!