6/13/2007

I am almost finished with India and I am finding myself bamboozled by the convenience of her spiritual awakenings. It's like, right on cue, God shows himself to her at just that perfect moment! I suppose it can happen, but spiritual awakening doesn't always happen so conveniently, unless of course your trip is paid for by the publishing company. What would have happened if her trip to India left her without any meditation breakthroughs and there was not spiritual awakening? Would the book still have been published, would Liz have to pay for her year long travels on her own dime...that's a lot of pressure to be spiritually enlightened! I am pretty sure that I would have come up with some wild stories!
The tag line for this book should be: One woman's desperate search for semi-believable stories of self-enlightenment across Italy, India and Indonesia so that I don't have to pay money back to the publisher!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Im still working on India. But I have to admit there are some pretty conveinient encounters. I suppose some of this could be that when you want a spiritual awakening it means you are more open to it. It could have been there in Italy for her but she was so wrapped up in food and pleasure that maybe she ignored it.

She could be wanting to hear the voice so bad that she makes it up too but I think all along her voice has just been her, thinking and maybe even meditating to clear her head. I am not so sure she is really having encounters with a force outside herself ever?

Jenny! said...

Sarah:
Everyone's different and experiences things differently, but hers seems to be a bit forced or unreal/made-up. I have a hard time swallowing her story, but believe that things like her encounters can happen...each individual finds their outside/inside force differently.

Beginning with "B" said...

You know?
I felt the same way when I read M. Scott Peck's "In Search of Stones."
The man traveled all over the damn place: Stonehenge, and vast stretches of ruins, in the English Countryside...But, didn't really find anything of spirit that I could personally connect to.

(a disappointment, for sure, after "The Road Less Traveled.")

Funny, but this post makes me want to read this book all the more! (LOL!)

~~take care,
and thanks for dropping in.

xx,adam b.

Jenny! said...

AdamB:
Doesn't this book make you want to waste $12 to read! I wish I could return it...but I am a bit rough with books and after I am done they look like they were in the midst of an elephant orgy!

Beginning with "B" said...

Ha-ha!

That's what Peck should have found, along with his bloody Stone's.

xx,adam b.

~~See ya later, Jenny!