7/13/2007


I finished reading Sharp Objects and really enjoyed this twisted murder mystery. The main character was so strong, yet weak and fragile, which I think is hard for an author to get right. The main character, Camille a journalist from Chicago, is a tortured soul who goes back to her small home town in Missouri to report on the murders of two young girls and the possibility of a serial killer on the loose. She encounters characters that are vivid and fucked up. Each person in this book has issues and the way that they deal with these issues is bizarre. After I finished, I thought that maybe the actual town was cursed. The book is violent, not like blood and guts violence, but self-hatred, sexual abuse and psychological violence. It is a great book and I can't wait for Gillian's 2nd book to be published. It is wonderfully descriptive how she makes you "feel" the pain of the main character and her eye-opening journey.
Up next is The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

4 comments:

Newmania said...

Famous yet ? Goodness me you read alot don`t you.

I `m off to buy a book myself now ...it will be dull plltical book though.

Jenny! said...

Newmania:
Not yet...keep wishing! I do try ot read a book a week, but nothing as educational as your political books!

Sarah said...

Oh I loved Secret Life of Bees, you will also need to read the Mermaid chair by the same author, I also read Dance of the dissidant daughter but it was very different from her other books.

Jenny! said...

Sarah, If you kept up with BAMF's you would know that I have already read Teh Mermaid Chair. I am not digging The Secret Life of Bees.