12/04/2006

I finished Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris and loved it. Sarah was right, this book is hilarious. It just kept getting better as you read. One of my favorite chapters was "Jesus Shaves" about how the French have a Bell instead of an Easter Bunny. I also loved the chapter "Make That a Double" about the conjugation of verbs in French and getting the gender or objects correct.

Here's a paragraph example:

"What's the trick to remembering that a sandwich is masculine? What qualities does it share with anyone in possession of a penis? I'll tell myself that a sandwich is masculine because if left alone for a week or two, it will eventually grow a beard. This works until it's time to order and I decide that because it sometimes loses its makeup, a sandwich is undoubtedly feminine."


In other news...I joined a book of the month club called QPB (qpb.com) that will ship me books (paperback) to my house. I have belonged to these things in the past - JAB do you remember BMG??? - and they have for the most part been a rip off, but I decided I like being screwed up the ass and wanted to give it another try. I actually got a good deal on the 1st Enrollment offer. I am getting seven books for $28.00 so I am pretty pleased. I only have to buy one more book to meet my committment and they are reasonably priced - about the same price if you bought it from Borders plus shipping. But hey, I got seven books for the price of two so I guess I can buy one more that's a rip. Here are the books I am getting in my order: The Mermaid Chair, Saving Fish From Drowning, Prep, My Friend Leonard, The Time Travelers Wife, Missing Mom and The Glass Castle. I started my wish list (it is a bit ridiculous now) but it is kind of exciting. There are so many books I want to read, I want writers to take a year off so that I can catch up with the books that are out right now, its impossible to stay ahead of the reading curve. Here are a few books that I want to read: Marley and Me, Possible Side Effects, Dry, Eye Contact, For One More Day, A Death In Belmont, The Kite Runner, The Secret Life of Bees, Daniel Isn't Talking, A History Of Love, The Line of Beauty, and many many more!!! I still have about 3 books that I have already that are waiting to be read. Better get going...need to read!!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

The secret life of bees and the mermaid chair are amazing books. I read through them each in about two days becuase I just could not put them down. Enjoy, I hope you pass a few of these books around!