8/12/2007

I will start out my blog by letting you all know that I have picked my signature color of orange for the blog. I evidently had stolen Jeanette's color, as was pointed out. No problem. I don't mind. No biggie. I was never informed we had color codes! And for those that know me, it was pretty obvious that it was going to be orange or blue, wasn't it?!

I read The Last Summer (of You & Me) over the weekend. I was totally willing to give this book a shot because I loved the first three Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books. I know I am an adult, but I still love a good teen book or movie. Let's not even go there. My first impression was that I wasn't sure I would totally bill this as her "first adult novel." Considering the main characters were 21 and 24, it wasn't overly adultish. The story revolved around two sisters, Alice and Riley, and their summer vacation neighbor Paul. Riley and Paul are best friends and Alice and Paul are in love with each other. I liked the characters, but was annoyed by the middle hundred pages where the Alice and Paul were kept apart because of a secret regarding Riley. I get so annoyed in novels and movies when trivial crap is used as a major plot device. It just isn't. Too much exposition leading up to a marginal climax. Should I throw in some more literary terms? The denouement was satisfyling at least. It was a quick read and an okay read, but nothing great. I had the newest Luanne Rice hardback from the library but took it back because I felt like it would be the same as her last half dozen novels and the same as this story. Now I have to decide what to read next. I am also on the hunt for a new bookshelf because I have books lying around everywhere and in every closet and cabinet I own, and I cannot take it anymore.

5 comments:

Newmania said...

"Hmmmmm, that sounds good...you want to spank me for being lippy??? "

Oh yes !!!

Jenny! said...

Newmania:
You too can spank me anytime! Checking up on me I see???

Jenny! said...

That book sounds like a major flop! And if you put any more literary terms in, I would have thought I was reading a different language!

Newmania said...

Its outright stalking Jenny...oh dear

Jenny! said...

Should i start closing my blinds at night???